Thursday, September 2, 2010

chapter 1,2

From the start, the book grabbed my attention like no other math book before. Throughout the years as a student, I always dredded math class and I never thought I was good at it. I am very happy to be a part of a change.


Regarding the six principles, I strongly believe that ALL children should have equall opportunity to learn math. It is time to empower children and specifically girls to believing that they can be just as good at math as boys. I also agree that we need to help the children make connections and link ideas when teaching reading and writing; math class should not be left out as it is a very important discpline that should be introduced to young children as integrated part of their learning.

I also think that it is all in the hands of the teachers whether the children enjoy math time or not. I feel honored to be an early childhood educator and I embrace the opportunity to enhance my skills at teaching math to young children as I believe that they should have a strong foundation. From the children's prespective, they should be provided with the right tools to becoming logical thinkers and independent problem solvers.

The point of teaching math through technology also brought my attention closer to the fact that I need to enhance my skills in that area as to become a more effective teacher.

In addition, I believe in the constructivist theories and I see first hand how children construct and add on to their knowledge with each learning experience provided to them in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment