Saturday, September 18, 2010

Teaching young children number place value

When I taught K2, I wanted to introduce the children to the concept however; I debated with myself on how to do that. I thought that it will be best to start with single numbers and move on. Starting at the first day of school, we started to count the days we came to school as for when we reach 100 days, we will have a party to acknowledge this important milestone. Each day during circle time, the leader of the day would come up and write the number of the day on the stick and then add it to the jar/pot and when we got to 10 we bundled the sticks together with a rubber band and continued in the same manner. (that also gave the children an opportunity to practice writing the numbers, identify the number before and after and make a prediction to how many more we need to make another group of 10) I found that this worked well with the children as it was a simple way to integrate a variety of ways to introduce concepts and enhance the children’s learning gradually and in a meaningful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment